mothers day

Monday, August 11, 2008

A Day at Lagoon

Saturday Mauri called and asked Ed and I if we wanted to go to Lagoon with them on Sunday. We got in as family members of Drew at $10 per person...and the day was fantastic. No lines, great weather and lots and lots of fun. Ed wasn't able to go as he woke up after a BAD night Saturday night with a fever of 100.4. He is still sick today and has twice now "sweat' it out, soaking his clothes and the bedding. He is still really weak but is on antibiotics and it is helping. So I skipped church and went and had a fun fun fun day with Mauri and Ira and Adrie and Drew and Jerod and Joshua and Caleb!

We got into the park right at opening and I figured I would stay till 3 or 4 and by that time the twins would be ready to go home and that would be plenty long for me! HAH! As soon as we got there we headed to rattlesnake rapids because, as Ira said, there is always a line a mile long.

NOT!! There was NO line...we went on it three times (well Mauri opted out after running it twice but the rest of us realized that we still had ONE dry spot on us so we needed to go a third time. So Mauri got some pictures of the rest of us on run #3. The video is of our raft as we head towards the waterfall that totally soaked ALL of us (the front of Jerod's shirt was 'relatively' dry because he would lean over and let the water hit his back). Even my socks were soaked.

If you double click on this picture I think you will see a bunch of drowned rats.

I do think that the second run of the three was the best because we had the weight distributed more evenly (Mauri, Ira and I balanced throughout the boat.) Thus we bounced through the waves better and got soaked more!

The twins were ready to go a fourth time but we talked them into heading back to the Log Plume - after more drenching there we slipped and slopped in our squeaky shoes back to the rides in the main park.

This is a quick blurb of the boys on the swing. They didn't have to wait in line for more than three minutes on ANY ride all day long. It was fantastic.

Here are a couple of darling pictures of Joshua (above) and Caleb (below). As you can see, Josh has a new buzz cut and has a head that looks good with it. In fact I think it accentuates his eyes - without the hair, you notice his long eyelashes!!

Caleb and Josh are on the Scalywag. I know for a fact that they went on practically every ride in the kiddie section at least twice and they droves the cars at least five times!! Caleb was sooooo proud of that fact that they were such good drivers and didn't wreck the cars at all!!

While I was in the kiddie section with the twins, Mauri and Ira and Adrie and Jerod went and found some fun BIG rides.

Jerod's favorite was the rocket - the blast off side I think it was.

We had the sandwiches and drinks that Mauri had brought for lunch and then we wandered over to where Drew was working. Everyone got a chance to catch a fish and Ira actually caught two out of the three of them so Adrie got to choose a big pink fat fish (it was really cute) for her bedroom.

We got some pictures ofJerod and Ira about to go up on the rocket. I thought I was video'ing it but evidently I goofed and just got the picture of them strapping themselves in. After lunch we all headed over to Lagoon-A-Beach.

I thought at first that the water park was going to be a bust because the twins quickly got cold. But then Mauri and Ira talked all three of the boys into trying the slide that you ride the tubes on, the one that goes down a little ways and dumps into a pool and does that again and again. Not one of them initially wanted to try it but we talked them into it and WOW!! We couldn't get them off it. The lines moved quickly...Jerod claims he went down 44 times but I think that is a bit of an exaggeration! We finally had to tell the boys it was time to leave at about 6 pm

At that point we ate the chicken I had brought (we had sandwiches earlier) - we saved ALOT of money by bringing our own food - everything is SO expensive in the park! Mauri and the kids all went on the BAT and Ody Sea.

Then I headed back over to the kiddie rides with the twins while Adrie and Drew went to ride the HUGE scary swing. (I can't remember the name of that ride) It took almost two hours for them to process through the line and poor Jerod sat and waited and waited and waited to get to go on more rides. Because of the delay thinking that any minute Drew and Adrie were going to take their lives into their hands Jerod didn't get to go on anything more than the scrambler that was right next to the swing. As you can see, Mauri really enjoyed it too!

The twins were getting so tired that we finally headed back to find Mauri and Ira and have them take us to my car (which was parked at the front runner station).

When we got there Adrie and Drew had just been suited up so we decided to wait. No one wanted to miss their 'swing'. The twins were very patient with us, bless their hearts - it was after 8 by then. We kept saying "its almost their turn, it's almost their turn.

And finally it was ... Ira videotaped it with my camera cause they had left theirs at home. Mauri stood there wringing her hands as they hoisted the girls wayyyyyy above the park and she was heard mumbling "no one has ever died on this ride before".... the boys were saying BYE Adrie, it was nice knowing you... so reassuring.

Here is the video clip of the famous ride - Ira did a great job of getting most of it on screen -- and yes all that screaming was from the throats of Adrie and Drew - I was amazed they could talk when it was all over! They came down grinning and triumphant. I was proud of Adrie (Drew had done it before) I can assure you I would NEVER do it.
The video is evidently too big - it wouldn't upload - I tried for an hour!!

By the time they were done and down and unhooked it was almost 9 pm so we packed EVERYONE up and headed back to the cars. Thanks Gibsons - for sharing such a fun time with me. As you can tell, I love it - and so did they!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

What a fun day! Yeah, that would be exhausting, but sure worth it.