mothers day

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Quartzite, the pictures

It is Tuesday morning, January 27: I woke up at 7:30 and it is too cold to get up so I decided to blog. I just downloaded my pictures to my computer so I can share some of what I see every day with you all. I know I won’t get any sympathy when I say that it only got up to about 55 degrees today - but there was a bitter cold north wind blowing all day so dad and I stayed in the trailer all day. Hope-fully tomorrow we can go wander through the bazaar again. I understand it was really cold up North today too and the storms from Sunday and Monday are now causing all sorts of havoc clear across the nation. (It is now Thursday and much much warmer. We will go four wheeling this afternoon - yeah!!)

Anyway - this is a picture of our home away from home. As you can see we have ‘prettied it all up”. The morning after we got here I opened the door and here was the rock decorations with the solar lights - Ed had gotten up a couple hours early and had set out a row of rocks and then a circle of rocks with a solar light inside it and then more rocks and then another circle and so on. We bought the woven mat down here and it matches the color of the trailer really nice. The hummingbird hook holds the pretty metal wind decor so we are in great shape.



To the right of the trailer is my whirligig that blows in the wind. Here is a picture of it but its not blowing enough to make it spin. Then of course, the American Flag is always flying every day.


This is a tree that is just behind our trailer - it has such a personality. I think it is gorgeous! Of course it is desert green. And its prickly. Everything in the desert stings, pokes or pricks!!





I mentioned in my last blog that I ran into a friend that I used to work with at Job Corps and she and her husband went four wheeling with us.

I thought that this picture shows very well the type of country we are traveling over and camping in. Lots of rocks and desert landscaping. Very dry country.






Here is a picture of Jimmy and Jana and our friend the teddy bear choya where we stopped for an hour for lunch. We hiked around and sat and visited and relaxed. The choya are so big and full this year...I don’t know if its because of last years cool winter but they all looked so healthy this year.



The red barrel cactus show up well in this picture. I thought they were so pretty I had to buy some!! Ed and I picked out about six or seven different types of cactus and we are going to plant them out in front where the trees used to be. The only one I didn’t get that I would like to was the saguerro. I hope we can keep them dry enough!!!



The picture on the right is just a gorgeous canyon above Dripping Springs











This is the actual springs - very small and just dripping, not running!

1 comment:

Kristanne said...

The pictures are nice. I always thought it would be much more desserty like dessert and not so much like northern dessert but I guess I should have know since we live in a cold dessert. Does that make any sense? Anyway... I now have an idea of where you are at. It isn't at all what I thought it would be like.